Pineapple upside-down cake has a fascinating history because it was invented due to the development of several convenience items that gave the housewife time to make both a nice and delicious cake.
Origin Of Pineapple
The idea of cooking pineapple upside-down cake is an old technique that began centuries ago when cakes are baked in cast iron pans. It was easy to cook and add fruit and sugar to the bottom of the pan and simple pie dough on top and put it on the stove for cooking. Then turning it over on a plate was the natural way to show the beautiful fruit and to appreciate it as a cake.
The idea of the pineapple came shortly after 1911 when an engineer from James Dole’s invented the machine to cut pineapples in beautiful rings. Soon the beautiful and convenient rings were used in this ancient technique of pancake. The invention of the maraschino ceraza added the necessary color to make this an impressive cake.
- 3 eggs
- 120 gr of flour
- 100 gm of sugar
- Pineapple slices (can be natural or preserved in its juice) and some red or green cherries (or mixed)
- 2 teaspoons of chemical yeast
- 6 tablespoons pineapple juice
- a pinch of salt
For The Candy
50 gm of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- For the syrup (you can save this elaboration using the tin syrup if it is canned pineapple)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- Pieces of pineapple (use cuts or pieces that are uglier)
- 100 ml of water or pineapple juice if we use pineapple in its juice
- We preheat the oven to 170º.
- We make the candy by putting the sugar and the lemon juice in a saucepan or pan on the fire. When it is done, we dump it in the bottom of the mold and reserve.
- Cut the pineapple slices and place them on the caramel when it has solidified. Then put a cherry on each pineapple slice.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with sugar and salt until they whiten and double their volume. Add the pineapple juice and mix well.
- We sieve the flour and the yeast on the previous mixture and mix well, with enveloping movements so that the eggs do not fall.
- Pour the mixture into the mold on the slices of pineapple and bring to the oven about 30 minutes.
- Prepare the syrup by putting the pieces of pineapple, sugar, and water or pineapple juice in a saucepan. Let boil about 5 minutes and remove from heat. We collide
- When the cake is made, without removing it from the mold we puncture the surface and then pour the syrup over it. Let it cool a few minutes and unmold it before it cools completely.
Tips And Comments
With this same recipe, you can mount individual pineapple upside-down cake if you follow the elaboration but use small molds of cupcakes or muffins, as seen in the pictures below. The result is a delicious pineapple upside-down cake.