The black forest cake recipe is a delicious combination of chocolate sponge cake with rich whipped cream and cherry filling. It’s based on the German dessert ‘Black Forest Cherry Torte’. It is said to be of German origin. This cake is made of layers of chocolate sponge cake and whipped cream and cherries.
To know this cake better, let us see how black forest cake can be made easily at home.
For the cake
- 9-inch cake mold
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- Cocoa powder 1/3 cup
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Baking powder 2tsp
- Sugar 1cup
- Oil 1/2 cup
- Chocolate syrup 3tbsp
- Coffee 1tsp
- Water 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence 1tsp
For the cherry syrup
- Sugar 2tbsp
- Chopped cherries 1/4 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
Process of making the chocolate sponge cake
- Take a bowl. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix all together. And keep it aside.
- Take the egg whites and beat it with a beater.
- Gradually add sugar. Beat till stiff peaks are formed.
- Now add egg yolk one by one and keep beating it.
- Add oil and vanilla essence and beat the mixture once again.
- Now sieve the dry ingredients in the egg batter.
- Dilute the coffee with water and add it to the batter.
- Add chocolate syrup to the batter and mix it well.
- Take the cake mold and place baking paper in it. Now pour the batter into the mold.
- Place a wire stand inside a pan. Preheat the pan for 10 minutes on low medium flame with a lid.
- After 10 minutes place the cake mold inside the preheated pan. Cook it for 45 to 55 minutes on low flame.
- Note:- if you have an oven, then bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius 45 to 50 minutes.
For the cherry syrup-
Take a pan to add sugar, chopped cherries, and water. Let the water boil for at least 3-5minutes till the cherries soften. As you see your syrup has become thick, switch off the flame.
Assembling The Cake
- Cut the cake into 3 layers.
- On the first layer brush, the cherry syrup then spread whipped cream evenly. Add chopped cherries in the whipped cream.
- Now place the second layer of the cake and brush the cherry syrup again. Spread whipped cream and top it up with chopped cherries.
- Now put the third layer and repeat the process.
- Cover the whole cake evenly with the whipped cream.
- Take a cone put the star nozzle and make flowers with the cream.
- Now add some grated chocolate in the center of the cake.
- Top it up with fresh cherries.
- Keep it in the fridge for an hour.
- Take strips of baking paper. And draw zigzag lines with melted chocolate and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Now take the strip and wrap it around the cake, make sure the chocolate is touching the cake.
- Press the baking paper with soft hands and keep the cake in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Once the zigzag chocolate is set on the cake to remove the paper.
Your black forest cake is ready to be served.